THE PLACE WHERE THE GUAIMARO ASSEMBLY (ASAMBLEA DE GUÁIMARO) WAS HELD
As an adequate precursor for such great history, the first Constitution of the Republic in Arms was held at Guáimaro, a territory located east of Camagüey, where the main protagonists of the insurrection met in April of 1869, only a few months after the beginning of the first struggle for the nation’s freedom.
In this encounter, in which the bravest representatives of independence took part, the necessary unity within the revolution prevailed against the different ideas that had been maintained up to the moment in the field of insurrection.
The opinions of Carlos Manuel de Céspedes on one united leadership, where the civilian and military roles were controlled by the same person, were opposed to the opinions of those from Camaguey, who thought it was prudent to separate both roles, with an internal division of the civilian command.
Imagine for an instant those men of strict personality, most of them educated in the best colleges of the country and in foreign parts as well, decided on risking their lives and wealth in the struggle, firm and convinced of their own ideas.
They defended their ideas with ardour and bravery, and we can visualise the intense panorama of the Guaimaro Assembly sessions (Asamblea de Guáimaro).
Finally, the firm and coherent block made up of those from Camaguey and Villa Clara prevailed, in which the young lawyer Ignacio Agramonte y Loynaz played quite a part, and from whose pen the project of the Constitution was born.
For more information: